Five Ways that Rehab will Change Your Life
It takes courage and perseverance to make the transition from addiction to sobriety, but it will change your life for the better. Entering into a treatment program is a great way to make this transformation, as you will have the support of addiction counselors, doctors, and other addicts.1 The experience will help you to find the way to a happy and healthy life.1
Here are five ways you can expect your life to change after treatment.
- Drugs will no longer be your main focus. After you finish the detoxification program, if needed, your body will be cleared of the drugs that were clouding your mind and taking over your life.1 Be aware that urges to abuse drugs and thoughts about them will still be present, but at this point, you will have some clarity and distance from the problem.1 You can focus on these thoughts and urges in group or individual therapy, where you can analyze them and learn how to deal with them.1 Counselors will also help work with you to identify the deep-rooted causes of your addiction, resolving issues and leaving you feeling amazing without the influence of drugs.1
- You will be MUCH happier. Euphoria is a fake happiness, an escape.1 Addiction is really a frustrating, painful, and emotionally-trying disease.1 It makes you feel guilt and shame that can often lead to depression.1 Also, many drugs cause depression in and of themselves, particularly when you are going through withdrawal.1 Therefore, it is easy to feel hopeless when you are struggling with addiction.1 You deserve to feel truly happy again, and once you kick those drugs to the curb, you will!
- You will socialize without being under the influence. While you were addicted, it is likely that you spent all of your time socializing while under the influence.1 It can be scary to socialize while sober if you are not accustomed to it. While in treatment, you will be around many other people who are also recovering.1 You will attend group therapies with them, go on outings with them, and reside with them—you will interact socially with them while sober.1 It will give you the chance to meet people as your true self instead of someone addicted to drugs.1 Most likely, you’ll make friends, ones who will last and have meaning—who like you for you.
- You will have higher self-esteem. In treatment, your moods will begin to stabilize and the depression and anxiety will begin to diminish.1 You will feel accomplished, which will boost your self-esteem and greatly increase your overall level of happiness.1
- You will become in tune with your actual needs. In treatment, you will learn to recognize what your actual needs are as you engage in activities such as prayer, yoga, meditation, art classes, etc.1 Along with counseling, you will learn how to recognize your thoughts and feelings as they appear.1 Then, instead of numbing them with drugs, you will learn how to address them.1 Reflection and positive thoughts will teach you who you are and what you need.1
Overall, treatment for addiction can only be positive. These are only five ways that it will change your life—there will be hundreds of others! It’s time you experienced life as your happy, true self. If you need help, don’t be afraid to reach out. We are here for you!
 Lloyd, J. (2013). 5 Ways Rehab Will Change Your Life. Psych Central. Retrieved on November 6, 2013, from http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2013/11/05/5-ways-rehab-will-change-your-life/